Thursday 14 June 2018

CONSEQUENCES OF NUMBER 12 DOCUMENTARY – KWESI NYANTAKYI CAN SURVIVE THIS – PART 2


On 7th June exactly at 3pm, the technician pressed play the latest documentary produced by Ghana’s investigative journalist Anas Aremyaw Anas and his team from Tiger Eye PI titled Number 12. That day was the second day of a two-day Accra premiering of the Number 12 documentary which was said to reveal corruption in the Ghana Football Association and among referees. Upon reaching the Accra International Conference Centre to a rather small number of people compared to news I heard about a large number of people trooping the AICC to watch the documentary, I stood in a short queue for about 3 minutes, got checked at 3 different security checkpoints and then finally allowed into the auditorium. There stood a giant screen in the dark looking auditorium almost full to capacity. In a matter of seconds while I peep around to find an empty seat, a lady usher got closer and offered that I follow her to an empty seat. While we walk to my seat, I heard a voice ask everyone to stand up in respect to the sound of the National Anthem. After the anthem, I hurriedly sat down in the seat the usher asked me to; then the documentary began.
A lot of thoughts about corruption, Ghana and Anas began running through my mind. Then I woke myself from the thoughts with the mindset that I needed to concentrate on the documentary since I will be writing a piece on it.

A little over an hour and the documentary came to the end. I stepped out of the auditorium and to my amazement; I saw a long queue at the entrance of the AICC being taken through the same security checks like they did to me. Outside the main gate on the street were also a large number of people waiting to be allowed inside the AICC compound in order to join the queue. Then I realized that I witnessed a short queue when entering at 3pm because a lot of viewers had not closed from work.
I will not go back narrating excerpts of the documentary into details. In this article, I intend to deliver my opinion on why I think Kwesi Nyantakyi will not be prosecuted for his alleged corrupt acts nor will any of the referees caught cheating will go to jail. The best is to have them loose their position in the football fraternity.

In my previous article titled “CONSEQUENCES OF NUMBER 12 DOCUMENTARY – KWESI NYANTAKYI CAN SURVIVE THIS; PART 1” which I promised to write a continuation for reason I am writing this, I made known the notion that some Ghanaians are of the view that Kwesi Nyantakyi (the bigger fish in the entire documentary) will be prosecuted and jailed for his actions captured in the video. Sincerely, I would have loved to see Kwesi Nyantakyi serve some jail term as deterrent to other heads of institutions that are or may be meddling in corruption but the realities in my medulla oblongata are not allowing me to believe that my wish can manifest.

Let’s face it. Kwesi Nyantakyi is a big fish! He is a top official that can be compared to other top officials in Ghana. His 13 year reign as President of the Ghana Football Association makes him one most powerful state official in Ghana.
In the beginning of my previous article, I mentioned that some friends who I was having an argument with stated that former Chief Executive of the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation and renowned Lawyer Tsatsu Tsikata was a big fish but got jailed five years by the then NPP/Kuffuor Administration for willfully causing financial loss to the State and misapplying public property. Thus in as much as Kwesi Nyantakyi can be termed as a big fish in state affairs of Ghana, he can equally be jailed just as Tsatsu Tsikata. But I beg to differ, even though Mr. Tsikata’s allegations of corruption were not captured on tape like that of Kwesi Nyantakyi, a reason someone will believe that the magnitude of Mr. Nyantakyi’s woes will enable the courts serve him a jail term, I am of the view that even though the magnitude of crime may differ, Kwesi Nyantakyi will not be jailed. This is because Kwesi Nyantakyi is a bigger fish than Tsatsu Tsikata. The like of Tsatsu Tsikata who is known to be a member of the NDC is likely to be thrown in jail for the sake of partisan politicking. But the Kwesi Nyantakyi position is different; Kwesi Nyantakyi is not widely known to be a member of a particular political party in Ghana. He has served as President of the Ghana Football Association under the regime of both ruling political parties; meaning he has worked and dealt with officials of both NPP and NDC. This variable alone plays a big role in the prosecution discussion of Kwesi Nyantakyi. (Let me remind ourselves that there have been officials caught and alleged to meddle in corruption but did not get to see the gates of Nsawam prison but rather get sacked, transferred or pardoned). Thus the bottom line which is the possibility of Kwesi Nyantakyi not getting jailed for the mere reason for which those other corrupt officials did not get jailed plays a big role. Meaning Kwesi Nyantakyi’s corruption allegation case will not be treated with partisan politicking as its base.

Going by the now known ‘character’ of Kwesi Nyantakyi which is a corrupt leader who takes bribe from prospective investors, I can deduce that over the years till now, Kwesi Nyantakyi in his dubious acts committed the crime with officials of both NDC and NPP. This phenomenon also makes the prosecution of Kwesi Nyantakyi a dicey one. Already I have heard unconfirmed news in the media that Mr. Nyantakyi after the call for his arrest threatened to reveal secrets if pressured; one of the reasons he was bailed and never been invited since. If this assertion is true, then it means even the sitting government will be scared to spearhead the call for Mr. Nyantakyi’s prosecution while the Minority will also not be able to push for the head of Mr. Nyantakyi for fear that some of their officials will be named in the revelations. (Again considering the unconfirmed news that Mr. Nyantakyi at a point in time financed the campaign activities of both NPP and NDC).

Notwithstanding, the strong variable of claiming Anas’ video is not credible and qualified enough to trigger prosecution and jailing of Mr. Nyantakyi must be considered. Aside listening to Mr. Nyantakyi who is a lawyer himself make comments about the video where he tried to use words like ‘scammers’ to describe team Tiger coupled with other legal words with the notion to punch holes into the documentary as a tool for his prosecution, other renowned Lawyers are making similar statements geared toward arguments that are against the jailing of Mr. Nyantakyi. Even though I have heard counter arguments from Lawyers and legal practitioners supporting the prosecution of Kwesi Nyantakyi, I am of the view that those against his jailing are coming with a big force. There has been quoting of articles in the Constitution of Ghana by legal practitioners and learned commentators on the saga debunking the validity and legality of Tiger Eye PI’s documentary as a benchmark to jail Mr. Nyantakyi. As a lay man but with the IQ to rap my mind around legal matters, I think those lawyers trying to argue in favor of Kwesi Nyantakyi are doing so fiercely; an argument they can win, thus not seeing Kwesi Nyantakyi face the court entirely or even when dragged to the law court will not get jailed.

Nevertheless, the hullabaloo, ranting and allegations made by NPP MP Kennedy Agyapong can ruin the situation and save Kwesi Nyantakyi from getting jailed. The tough-talking politician is threatening to reveal pictures and videos of some corrupt deeds that the investigative journalist and main producer of the Number 12 documentary; Anas Aremyaw Anas have been meddling in. Whether these allegations are true or false is another matter to discuss. But this rant and allegations must not be swept under the carpet. Mr. Agyapong succeeding in denting the image of Anas can ruin the situation where most Ghanaians will lose interest in rallying behind those calling for Mr. Nyantakyi’s prosecution. Though Anas have not said on any platform that he is holy and do not commit any wrongs, most Ghanaians see him as Mr. Right. So having someone ruin down his earned reputation is a disadvantage to the fight for Mr. Nyantakyi’s prosecution.  

Another reason that I think can make Kwesi Nyantakyi skip jail is the funny but sincere attitude of some top Ghanaian leaders. A typical is what we have already seen a Northern Chief do; pleading on behalf of Mr. Nyatakyi that his sins be forgiven. Begging for a corrupt official to me is one lame attitude someone can put up but we have on many occasions see this in our country. If not begging, we have witnessed people rally behind alleged corrupt officials. Typical of this is what some Ghanaians in the hometown of former COCOBOD boss Stephen Opuni are doing and those who rallied behind former National Health Insurance Scheme boss Sylvester Mensah amid corruption allegations. So pleading on behalf of ‘corrupt’ officials is not a new phenomenon in Ghana which on some occasions has prevented the fellow from getting punished or jailed.

I can go on and on about reasons why I am of the view that the embattled former GFA boss Kwesi Nyantakyi will not be jailed. I do not know if Tiger Eye PI knew that the probability of Mr. Nyantakyi getting jailed as a result of this documentary was less. I am sure they knew but the wider agenda of booting out corrupt ‘football people’ and to have an iota of evidence proving the long standing argument and allegation of a corrupt GFA will be achieved. Thus getting the boss plus some officials resigns and sacked like we have begun witnessing in the Association.

Thank you for reading. Please do not hesitate to share your views, comments and contributions.

Another reality from my Medulla Oblongata.

No comments:

Post a Comment